The world was spinning a bit fast this week, so I didn’t get a chance to do the full blown picks and viewers guide. Will try and do it going forward.
Last year, I ended up 273-94 straight-up and 187-170-5 ATS this season. On Big Ten games, I ended up 96-23 straight-up and 67-46-1 ATS this season on Big Ten games. On OSU, I was 12-1 straight-up and 9-4 ATS.
So far this year, I am 8-1 straight-up and 5-2 ATS.
Will quickly buzz through today’s card:
* Oklahoma (-12 ½) at Houston, at NRG Stadium, noon (ABC) – No. 3 Oklahoma visits No. 14 Houston, although the game is played at the Houston Texans’ stadium instead of on the UH campus. Tom Herman’s Cougars coming off bowl win over Florida State. But OU hoping for second straight CFB Playoff bid. Baker Mayfield vs. Greg Ward. Should be a great game. Oklahoma 35-28
* Eastern Kentucky at Purdue (-14 1/2), noon (ESPNews) – The must-wins begin for Darrell Hazell and the Boilers. Purdue 31-13
* Howard at Maryland (no line), noon (BTN) – The D.J. Durkin era begins at Maryland. Maryland 40-20
* Western Michigan at Northwestern (-4 ½), noon (ESPNU) – WMU has gone 8-5 last two years for P.J. Fleck. Northwestern coming off its second 10-win year under Pat Fitzgerald. Could be a good one. Northwestern 27-20
* Hawaii at Michigan (-39 ½), noon (ESPN) – Hawaii is traveling 20,000 miles from Australia to play this game. Michigan 50-7
* Bowling Green at Ohio State (-27 ½), noon (BTN) – The Baby Buckeyes take the field. Mike Weber era begins at RB for OSU. Ohio State 52-17
* Missouri at West Virginia (-9 ½), noon (Fox Sports 1) – Some think WVU could be sleeper in the Big 12. West Virginia 38-31
* Rutgers at Washington (-26 ½), 2 p.m. (Pac-12 Networks) – Chris Ash era begins at Rutgers. Tough first assignment. Washington 44-20
* LSU (-14) vs. Wisconsin, at Green Bay, Wis., 3:30 p.m. (ABC) – Wisconsin in a tough spot against No. 5 LSU. First-ever college game on the (not so) frozen tundra at Lambeau Field. LSU 28-21
* Kent State at Penn State (-22), 3:30 p.m. (BTN) – Penn State 35-10
* Miami (Ohio) at Iowa (-27 ½), 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU) – C.J. Beathard back at Iowa. Iowa 45-10
* Murray State at Illinois (-31 ½), 3:30 p.m. (BTN) – The Lovie Smith era begins in Champaign. Illinois 38-14
* UCLA at Texas A&M (-3), 3:30 p.m. (CBS) – UCLA QB Josh Rosen leads Bruins into College Station. Texas A&M somehow 30-27
* Georgia (-3) vs. North Carolina, at Atlanta, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN) – Kirby Smart era begins at Georgia. Ohio native Mitch Trubisky at QB for UNC. North Carolina 21-20
* Fresno State at Nebraska (-28 ½), 8 p.m. (BTN) – Nebraska 34-17
* USC vs. Alabama (-12), at Arlington, Texas, 8 p.m. (ABC) – Can USC hang with top-ranked Alabama? Alabama pulls away late. Alabama 37-20
* Clemson (-8 ½) at Auburn, 9 p.m. (ESPN) – QB Deshaun Watson makes first statement. Clemson 35-20
* Arizona vs. BYU (-2 ½), at Glendale, Ariz., 10:30 p.m. (Fox Sports 1) – Arizona 37-35
* Notre Dame (-3 ½) at Texas, 7:30 p.m. (ABC) – Notre Dame won 38-3 at home last year. Texas is gearing up for a return to prominence. Malik Zaire and DeShone Kizer splitting time at QB for ND. Notre Dame 31-21
* Ole Miss vs. Florida State (-5), at Orlando, Fla., 8 p.m. (ESPN) – No. 12 Ole Miss meets No. 4 Florida State in one of the season’s top nonconference games. Florida State 27-24
More Sludge For You To Judge
Undisputed Champions Book
Click here for ordering info and comments on Undisputed Champions, our recap magazine of Ohio State’s 2014 national championship run.
Sporting News ranks the hottest rivalries in college footballStart SlideShow
What’s next for the Buckeyes? Make sure you’re in the loop — take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Buckeyes newsletter now!
Source: CBS Sports / College football: Viewers guide, picks for Week 1