SHARE

A University of North Carolina student alleges that she was raped by a football player last February on campus and blames both the school and the Orange County District Attorney’s office for a delay in in holding the player “accountable for his actions.”

The alleged victim released a lengthy statement through her attorney and addressed the media in a press conference. In her statement, she details her disgust in the investigation process after she filed her report to the school’s Department of Public Safety.

“They provided reassurances to him when he became upset,” she said, detailing the experience of listening to the interviews between investigators and her alleged rapist. “They even laughed with him when he told them how many girls’ phone numbers he had managed to get on the same night he raped me. They told him, ‘Don’t sweat it, just keep on living your life and playing football.'”

“I did everything a rape victim is supposed to do. I reported it. I allowed the rape kit to be taken. I gave a statement. I cooperated with law enforcement and the Title IX office. But six months later the University has done nothing,” she continued. “I’m taking this public stand not for me, but for the other students on campus who are not protected, despite what the University tells us. I love this University. It’s my home. I plan on graduating. But I expect the University to fulfill its promises to me and to all students.”

According to ABC11, which first reported the news, there has been a warrant issued for current North Carolina junior Allen Artis, a reserve linebacker who appeared in 13 games last season, mostly on special teams.

Orange Country District Attorney Jim Woodall also told ABC11 on Wednesday the case was “investigated thoroughly.”

In a text message to the News & Observer‘s Andrew Carter, North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham was sure to point out that the athletic department is not involved with the university investigation of a sexual assault.

The victim’s father, who also released a lengthy statement Tuesday, did not single out the athletic department but did blame the Title IX and public safety department investigators for the lengthy delay in seeing his daughter’s alleged rapist brought to justice.

“We have watched with dismay as the UNC Department of Public Safety and the Title IX office spent far more time investigating my daughter rather than her rapist,” he said. “DPS even went so far as to reassure my daughter’s rapist by telling that there was nothing to worry about, and one investigator participated in an event where he was socializing with the football team.

“Nowhere in this entire process have DPS investigators, University leadership or the orange County District Attorney’s Office expressed concern for my daughter’s well-being.”

North Carolina football hosts James Madison on Saturday in Kenan Stadium. There has been no official response from coach Larry Fedora at this time.


Source: CBS Sports / UNC student alleges rape by football player, says school hasn’t done enough to help