SHARE

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. – Multiple reports are indicating that a Karlos Williams, Buffalo Bills reunion could be on the horizon, after the second-year RB back was cut by the team back in August.

Ryan Talbot, contributing writer for NewYorkUpstate.com first reported that Williams will be visiting 1 Bills Dr. on Friday and working out for the team.

Soon after, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Bills are expected to re-sign the back following Friday’s workout. Perhaps confirming the story further is the former Seminole himself, who provided a very cryptic tweet, hinting at a return.

Adding to the story, Karlos Williams’ fiancée later clarified via twitter that the workout had actually been canceled and they were waiting for it to be rescheduled.

After practice, Rex Ryan said very about the situation.

“Our guys do a great job and you know, we track every player,” Ryan explained in regards to the team’s interest in Williams. “If we think Karlos can help us than he’ll be here.”

When asked if there was a workout scheduled for the former Bill, Ryan paused for a few seconds, then said, “I’m just trying to get ready for the Rams, so that’s what my focus is.”

Together, LeSean McCoy and Karlos Williams formed one of the NFL’s most dangerous backfields in the NFL season ago, helping Buffalo lead the league in rushing. However, after showing up to the team’s mandatory mini-camp in May severely overweight, then getting suspended four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, Buffalo decided it was time to part ways with the troubled running back.

Even though Williams has spent the first four weeks of the season as a free agent, he has fulfilled the parameters of his four-game suspension.

In his rookie campaign, Williams rushed for 517 yards and scored nine total touchdowns, matching an NFL record by scoring in his first six games in the NFL.

Spencito’s thoughts:

Hard to not like a Karlos Williams return, IF he indeed comes back and IF has a different attitude. Back in August the Bills got fed up with Williams. He showed up to mini-camp out of shape, was facing a four-game suspension and then after working hard to get back on the field, started gaining back some of the weight he had lost. He was becoming a headache they simply could not tolerate anymore. It seemed like his attitude was more “I’m safe no matter what,” than, “I have to earn back my spot.” As the saying goes, the NFL stands for, “Not For Long.” He took his opportunity for granted.

That said, we all know what kind of talent Williams has and how valuable he can be for the offense. The Bills don’t really have anyone to call upon as a power back when they need a tough yard or two. Williams can be that guy as he often was last year.

Before camp began I thought there was no way Buffalo would part ways with a valuable player in his second season, who had simply run into a rough patch. Everyone deserves a second chance. When the news of his release broke though it appeared he had exhausted that opportunity to the point of no return.

Even as Williams was rumored to have worked out for other teams, I maintained this inkling that he wasn’t done in Buffalo. The way Ryan dodged questions about the subject after practice leads me to believe there is some truth to these rumors. We’ll see if they rekindle the conversation and as Williams’ fiancée mentioned, they reschedule the workout, but if they ultimately end up signing him I think it’s a great move, barring Williams makes the most of his third chance.

Follow me on Twitter: @Spencito6