ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. – In his two seasons with the Bills Tyrod Taylor has been as by the book as they come during his media appearances, but after getting benched in favor of EJ Manuel this past weekend the 27-year-old couldn’t hold back his frustration on locker room clean out day. The move caught him off guard.
“That decision is on them,” Taylor began an unexpected media session in front of his locker. “I feel like I’ve done enough, as far as my play, to be the starter here. It wasn’t like I was outplayed, it was simply taken from me. I didn’t see where it was fair that the opportunity was taken from me, but like I said that’s above me.”
To get a true sense of the disrespect Taylor felt, he used the phrase “taken from me” numerous times during the interview.
The organization’s “business decision” to sit Taylor for Sunday’s season finale leaves his future in Buffalo in question. An injury clause in the former starter’s contract would have guaranteed him $30.75 million over the next two season, money the Bills seem unwilling to pay at this point. Taylor said he briefly spoke to Bills general manager Doug Whaley about his benching last week and understands the business side of the move. Still, he isn’t buying that the injury ramifications had anything to do with it.
“I’ve heard that they want to evaluate the young talent that we have in EJ (Manuel) and Cardale (Jones), Taylor explained. “I’ve also heard things as far as the injury clause, which I don’t really put much behind that because that was the situation all year. We’ll see what the real decision was.”
Doesn’t sound like he’s very convinced of the reasoning he was provided. That distrust could make for a dicey meeting between Taylor and the Bills higher ups regarding his future
“I guess once the conversation – we really haven’t sat down and talked about it – once it’s actually explained to me why it was done the way it was we’ll move forward from there, but we’ll see when that happens,” Taylor remarked. “It’s fair to say [that the move shows the organization lacks confidence in me]. I mean that’s what I think it showed. But at the same time, the conversation wasn’t detailed enough to know if that was the case or not. Hopefully, we can have that conversation this week.”
If Buffalo is serious about keeping Taylor, part of that conversation could also include a discussion about drawing up a new, more cost-efficient deal for the Bills if they choose to decline the option that exists in the current five-year, $90 million contract the two parties agreed to back in August. Taylor didn’t seem too enthralled by the idea but didn’t rule it out entirely.
“We’ll have to weigh those options when it happens,” he said. “Maybe that’s a possibility down the line, but we’ll visit that when it happens.”
Taylor did make it known that he loves the Buffalo community and his teammates and would enjoy being part of the team’s future plans if it works out that way.
As far as his injured groin is concerned, Taylor said he is seeking a second opinion on Wednesday and that he’s hopeful the ailment isn’t as bad as it’s been reported.
Follow me on Twitter: @Spencito6